Thursday, May 15, 2014

New Projects

Lately I've been working on several different projects.  Right now, I have six - yes six! - different projects in the making. Two of the six projects are Christmas presents for this year so I won't go into detail about them.  I still haven't finished the pajama pants I was supposed to sew my husband last Christmas.  I guess he can wait until this Christmas. I am in the process of knitting a baby blanket and the shell for a sweater (aka a sweater without the sleeves). Projects I've just finished include: two simple knit maxi dresses, a polka dot infinity scarf, a one-piece swimsuit and a crochet swimsuit.

From start to finish, the swimsuits took me the longest - at least 20 hours of labor a piece. I used the Bombshell Swimsuit pattern from ClosetCaseFiles on Etsy. She has an awesome sewalong on her blog.  I don't think I would've been able to complete the pattern without it! It was extremely helpful for someone like me who is just getting into apparel sewing.



I made the swimsuit on the right.  Funny enough, I also choose to make it in blue.



Here is the finished project! I love the way it turned out! Again, I highly recommend the pattern.  Even if you don't feel comfortable with apparel sewing, the sewalong is step by step and very detailed. The swimsuit I just finished yesterday is a crochet swimsuit! It was very labor intensive but rewarding. I used a vintage 1970's crochet pattern from Cemetarian on Etsy.



I planned to make the one piece but the sizing runs big so I had to back-track and make the two piece.  When I attempt to make the one-piece again, I may have to go down two sizes.  The bottom was just WAY too baggy.



Here it is before I lined it!  The pattern has 2 different suggestions for yarn.  I used two strands of black Knit-Cro-Sheen yarn held together throughout and I'm very happy with the result.  It fit perfect before I lined it.  After I lined it, it was a bit tighter but still wearable. If anyone has an suggestions for this problem, please leave a comment! I hand-sewed black lining into the cups on the top and into the whole bottom (except the two side connecting pieces). Next time, I think I'll sew black cups into the top instead of the lining.   I tried to google how to sew lining into a crochet/knit swimsuit but didn't get any results that were helpful.



I bought another vintage swimsuit crochet pattern Etsy from KnittingKnitch.  It looks so cute and I can't wait to attempt it!

That's all for today. I'm off to do laundry and other chores before I have to work tonight. Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment